On the beach in Morocco

"Part of husbanding our talent lies in finding those who are generous enough to reflect us back as talented. Creativity flourishes in an atmosphere of acceptance. As we learn to number friends to our work among our friends, that work can strengthen and bloom. It could be argued that friendship is often the determining factor between a career that flourishes and one that languishes. We are responsible for choosing our friends."

Julia Cameron. Finding Water

"...I need to carefully hoard my optimism. I need to side with Oscar Hammerstein who called cynicism the cause of grief and grief the enemy of his art. 'Anything that kills my enthusiasm is the enemy,' he declared. As an artist, I need to believe I have a chance. As artists we all need to believe we have a chance--because we do. I believe that the Great Creator loves other artists and is active on our behalf to find us a break. I believe this not only because I have to believe this, but also because it is my experience."

Julia Cameron. Finding Water












I agree. And I often found that there's no better way to experience this then traveling. traveling shakes you out of your comfort zone and gives you a new perspective and also makes you vulnerable. especially when traveling alone in a country where you don't know the language. I guess that's why that has always exhilarated me. Because I have to rely on the Spirit and I see what I need being provided over and over again is such magical ways.  I just got back from traveling alone in Morocco for three weeks. The last time I did anything like that was 2007 when I travelled alone in China and southeast Asia. There is something about that feeling when you need help and you can't speak the language and you have to rely on the kindness of others that is so thrilling. I have found (and I know so many other travelers have too) that it is amazing how willing people are to help. 
I stayed at this amazing eco-lodge for the first week, called, "L'Ane Vert". Check out their website. It is in the small town of Tafedna on the coast, just south of Essaouira. Amazing people working there who suddenly give you hope for humanity. They also have an artist residency program that I would love to go back and do someday. Then, on my long trip up north to the mountains and the blue city of Chefchaouen (which, by the way, is on the same latitude as Asheville, NC, which is maybe why it is so beautiful and mountainous), I found myself in exactly one of those situations where I was starting to get a little scared and needed help. I was still on the train looking at two more taxi's to get to my destination where I had not booked a room yet. I had no idea where I was. I was going to get off in a small town that was not at all touristy and it was already dark out. I was traveling alone as a solo female, like I said and already heard many people warn me to be careful. I was sitting near several moroccan men. One of them sat next to me and started rattling off in french all about how unsafe it was for me to be traveling alone in Morocco as a woman. Fortunately all of these men seemed concerned for my safety and wanted to help me. I looked out the window, realized I was starting to feel a little scared and said a little prayer. It went like this, "I'm scared." As we arrived at my stop, a lovely young Moroccan woman walked up to exit. The men all asked her if she spoke english. She said she did a little. So they asked her to help me when we got out. We exited together and she said to me, "You want to go to Chefchaouen tonight?!" I nodded and she looked surprised. Then she said in her broken english, "If you want to stay at my house. You are welcome." So I agreed and she put her arm through mine and I had a lovely Moroccan experience with her beautiful family. She knelt by my bed that night and said she was thankful that Allah had brought me into her life. 



It's moments like that, when I realize, it isn't just when we travel that we can go out on a limb and trust that we will be provided for. Its all the time. Traveling just gives us that practice in a unique kind of way. I think about the other things I want just as much as I wanted to be safe that night. I want to make a sustainable living doing my art. I want my art to be a healing presence in the world. I want to be part of a community who is participating in a radical healing revolution like Nahko and Medicine for the people. I want my art to be part of that. I want to believe in myself. I want to believe I am capable of all these things. And I am and I know that I will be provided for every step of the way. All I need to do is ask and trust. 

Comments

Popular Posts