Elizabeth's dad's old shirt.

i'm revisiting this one actually because the story is precious. elizabeth came into the Dry Goods Shop about a month ago with this shirt. it belonged to her beloved father who died about a year ago. she then went off to ireland to spread his ashes. she also left me with a shirt she liked and wanted me to replicate with the fabric from her dad's old shirt.
i love this idea for several reasons. one, because i am all about taking better care of our planet and sometimes i think: wow! why am i making dresses? the last thing we need in our world is more clothes and inevitably an image of the good will bins comes to mind. but also because everything has energy. i put my energy into this garment that already had her dad's energy in it and elizabeth's love for her dad in it as well. i love that i got to be part of the process. i love making things like this for people, i'm realizing. lately, this is more meaningful for me then making dresses to put out there that may or may not sell. i love making something with someone in mind. that is how i started out making skirts originally as well. holding space for them the whole time. holding the thought of them in my heart.
i am not really sure what direction i am going in right now as an artist, but i'm definitely going. every time i take a step, new things become clear to me. i am putting myself out there more and more and my north star becomes clearer and clearer. i'm going to penland for two months soon and i think that that will help as well. thank you martha beck!






Comments

Popular Posts