Reclaim.



"When I was a youth, the country was very beautiful. Along the rivers were belts of timberland, where grew cottonwood, maple, elm, ash, hickory, and walnut trees, and many other kinds. Also there were many kind of vines and shrubs. And under these grew many good herbs and beautiful flowering plants.
In both the woodland and the prairie I could see the trails of many kinds of animals and could hear the cheerful songs of many kinds of birds. When I walked abroad, I could see many forms of life, beautiful living creatures which Wakanda [The Great Spirit] had placed here; and these were, after their manner, walking, flying, leaping, running, playing all about.
But now the face of all the land is changed and sad. The living creatures are gone. I see the land desolate and I suffer an unspeakable sadness. Sometimes I wake in the night, and I feel as though I should suffocate from the pressure of this awful feeling of loneliness,"
-- an old Omaha tribesman. 

Comments

Popular Posts